Le Deal du moment : -39%
Pack Home Cinéma Magnat Monitor : Ampli DENON ...
Voir le deal
1190 €

TPW
TPW

Pearls before Swine Empty Pearls before Swine

Jeu 28 Mar 2024 - 18:45
Hi.
Are you people here aware of the work of Tom Rapp/Pearls before Swine?
I'm almost sure that his/their output inspired David Tibet and other Neofolk-Pioneers.
It took me a bit to get into it; for a long time I clearly prefered the Incredible String Band when it comes to Acid Folk; but meanwhile, he became one of my favorite musicians. His folk has a dark note, and many of his lyrics have a deep poetic quality Smile.

A few recs:

Another Time:
[Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir ce lien]

Space:

Riegal:
grvf
grvf

Pearls before Swine Empty Re: Pearls before Swine

Jeu 28 Mar 2024 - 20:47
The music is incredibly deep and appeasing, and the voice pretty nice, but it sounds like his prononciation is quite much lispy, isn't it? Can't really tell if it's the youtube compression or his natural voice...
Manfred
Manfred
Admin
https://heaven-is-waiting.forumactif.com

Jeu 28 Mar 2024 - 21:08
I'm almost sure that his/their output inspired David Tibet and other Neofolk-Pioneers.

It probably inspired them, they even played in a movie called "Pearls before swine". I don't think it's a coincidence.

Nice music, your three links. I'm not a big connaisseur of folk music, but it reminds me a bit of the first album of Leonard Cohen. It also reminds me of (more recent) Marissa Nadler.
Manfred
Manfred
Admin

Jeu 28 Mar 2024 - 21:17

[Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image] Embarassed [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image]
TPW
TPW

Jeu 28 Mar 2024 - 22:32
Pearls before Swine covered and referenced Leonard Cohen; their version of "Susanne" is great Smile.

Marissa Nadler covered a Pearls track, The Amber Lady, on a tribute compilation called "For the dead in Space". Imho it is neither her best track, nor the best rendition of the song, nor the best track on the Album - but it is still good. According to the description on YT, it was even her debut!

Not sure if the film title is a reference to the band of Rapp, a bible reference, or both - but I'm almost sure they knew his sound Wink.
Manfred
Manfred
Admin

Ven 29 Mar 2024 - 11:49
I'm not sure Rice and Pearce are avid Bible readers. Tibet, maybe, but he's not in the movie. Anyway who cares about their lumpen-nitzschean ramblings ?
Manfred
Manfred
Admin

Ven 29 Mar 2024 - 11:53
Marissa Nadler covered a Pearls track, The Amber Lady, on a tribute compilation called "For the dead in Space". Imho it is neither her best track, nor the best rendition of the song, nor the best track on the Album - but it is still good. According to the description on YT, it was even her debut!

Thanks for the info. I know very little about Marissa Nadler. I listened to the same 2-3 tracks a lot, almost 15 years ago, along with a few other artists. But I rarely listen to folk music, it quickly makes me want to jump in a river with a stone attached to my neck.
TPW
TPW

Ven 29 Mar 2024 - 12:07
Well, the Phrase "Pearls before Swine" got an idiom in many languages, so they don't need to be deeply interested Wink. But I also don't care much about them, and personally boycott their music since they are right-wing.
That's a rather bolt statement - what is driving you so crazy 'bout folk music?
TPW
TPW

Ven 29 Mar 2024 - 12:13
grvf a écrit:The music is incredibly deep and appeasing, and the voice pretty nice, but it sounds like his prononciation is quite much lispy, isn't it? Can't really tell if it's the youtube compression or his natural voice...

He was lisping. I've the same problem when singing, and don't mind to listen to others who have it. Might be a result of the used recording technique, as newer recordings have it less pronounced.
Manfred
Manfred
Admin

Ven 29 Mar 2024 - 12:46
That's a rather bolt statement - what is driving you so crazy 'bout folk music?

It was just a "poetic" way to say that folk music quickly makes me sad / depressed Smile I don't know why exactly. Maybe its simplicity, and the fact that it comes from so far back in time, make it carry more "truth" than more contemporary and complicated musical genres. I don't feel very capable of elaborating.
Contenu sponsorisé